Last week I spoke to about sixty sixth graders at Maryetta Elementary School about my trip to South America during my Semester at Sea adventure! In this picture I was telling the kids a story about when my friends and I stayed in a riverboat on the Amazon River. We had caught a crocodile on a late night outing and our guide brought it back for us to play with. They were a great group of kids. We had fun!
One year ago today I was in Brazil on the Amazon River enjoying Thanksgiving dinner with friends from the ship. I tried to send the picture above to my family however, wifi was a bit restricted. As much as I enjoyed myself I cannot be happier to be with my family today. I have so much to be thankful for!!! This is a very limited list of my favorite things.
1. Family and friends
2. Health and the health and well-being of my family
3. Opportunity to pursue a degree in dietetics
4. My job (including but not limited to my relationships at work)
5. America (freedom and protection)
6. Semester at Sea experience (this made me a better person)
7. Miss Oklahoma Organizations and local pageant directors
8. My partnership with the American Diabetes Association (great opportunity to promote health education)
From my family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!
This past week I spoke to a group of sixth graders about nutrition. In some way or another we got off on the topic of my travels and one boy asked which country was my favorite. It is difficult for me to choose between my favorite countries because I liked each country for their distinct variations in culture, scenery, food, and tempo.
One of my favorite things about the port city of Rio de Janeiro is its landscape. The industrial city of Rio de Janeiro sets off the coast, however in many ways shadows the favela, Rocinha. Rocinha falls into a valley and is surrounded by the vegetated mountainside. In the photos below, one can see people going about their daily duties, hard at work.