Today I have a Gibraltar-sized hole in my heart. It’s a small hole because Gibraltar makes up only 2.6 square miles, but it is known as one of the Pillars of Hercules so that fact alone makes it cool. The primary language is English because Gibraltar is a British territory; however, there are a lot of Spanish speaking individuals because the territory is connected to Spain. The monkeys you see below are barbary macaques and are one of the main attractions–they were very friendly.
Last week I spoke to about sixty sixth graders at Maryetta Elementary School about my trip to South America during my Semester at Sea adventure! In this picture I was telling the kids a story about when my friends and I stayed in a riverboat on the Amazon River. We had caught a crocodile on a late night outing and our guide brought it back for us to play with. They were a great group of kids. We had fun!
One year ago today I was in Brazil on the Amazon River enjoying Thanksgiving dinner with friends from the ship. I tried to send the picture above to my family however, wifi was a bit restricted. As much as I enjoyed myself I cannot be happier to be with my family today. I have so much to be thankful for!!! This is a very limited list of my favorite things.
1. Family and friends
2. Health and the health and well-being of my family
3. Opportunity to pursue a degree in dietetics
4. My job (including but not limited to my relationships at work)
5. America (freedom and protection)
6. Semester at Sea experience (this made me a better person)
7. Miss Oklahoma Organizations and local pageant directors
8. My partnership with the American Diabetes Association (great opportunity to promote health education)
From my family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!